VariOS Modelmaker

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
vsyn7425

VariOS Modelmaker

Post by vsyn7425 »

The VariOS-8 is based on the analog modelling side of the V-Synth (presumably OS v1.20) Patches are interchangeable between the V-Synth and the VariOS-8 even if they contain zones, such as an analog drumkit. We can use this relationship creatively to boost the palette of sounds available in the VariOS-8 by using the V-Synth as what I would call a modelmaker.

Take for example the first filter in the VariOS-8. It is stuck as an HPF and has no resonance control. However place an "INIT PATCH" from the VariOS-8 in the V-Synth and that filter can be changed to an LPF, BPF, Notch or Peak filter. The patch then can be saved in the V-Synth then returned to the VariOS-8.

The new patch should not be seen as a patch but as a new model because all other patches based on it will retain the same filter. Once loaded back in the VariOS sysex can be used to produce many different patches based on that model.

Any parameters can be altered in the V-Synth such as the type of filter, tva keyfollow, oscillator structure etc but a drawback is that the sysex is seriously limited on the VariOS-8 so not all parameters are controllable, plus only zone 1 can be edited via sysex.
robbie50

Re: VariOS Modelmaker

Post by robbie50 »

? How can I put patches from variOS in my V synth (GT) ?

greetings,

rob
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

Hi Rob. First, I'm not sure if the V-Synth GT is compatible with the VariOS patches but they definately are with the standard V-Synth, all OS versions. The easiest way to transfer patches/projects from the VariOS to the V-Synth or vice versa is via PC Card. If you boot into the VariOS-8 from PC Card using the "VPI-01 for VariOS.BIN" file you should also have a folder named "VA.prj". Place the patches in that folder using a PC card reader (after backup of course) then place the card in the V-Synth and load the project. If the GT is compatible please let us know. Thanks
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

Hi Rob. Regarding the compatibility between the V-Synth GT and the VariOS patches there is some good news. I downloaded some patches for the V-Synth GT from the Roland website and just copied the "Tone" folder from the GT project folder to the VA.prj folder then re-named the "Tone" folder to "Patch" and some of the patches played back fine in the VariOS. A lot of patches do not play back but that will be because they contain no analog modelling elements, just pcm types which obviously won't play back in the VariOS-8. It is therefore very likely that you will be able to place your VariOS patches in the V-Synth GT. Cool eh?
robbie50

Post by robbie50 »

[quote="vsyn7425"]Hi Rob. First, I'm not sure if the V-Synth GT is compatible with the VariOS patches but they definately are with the standard V-Synth, all OS versions. The easiest way to transfer patches/projects from the VariOS to the V-Synth or vice versa is via PC Card. If you boot into the VariOS-8 from PC Card using the "VPI-01 for VariOS.BIN" file you should also have a folder named "VA.prj". Place the patches in that folder using a PC card reader (after backup of course) then place the card in the V-Synth and load the project. If the GT is compatible please let us know. Thanks[/quote]

Thanks!.....
I'll will try that later, I'm a little bit ill. (no Corona!!)
So I let you know .....

Greetings,

Rob
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

In addition to the above, when altering some parameters in the V-Synth for playback in the VariOS the VariOS-8 controller may display strange behaviour or crash. I think I've narrowed it down to being note syncable parameters like LFO rate. This may be because the values only go up to 127 on the VariOS controller and the note sync goes higher than that on the V-Synth. The solution is to keep the rates in the range 0-127 or build a new controller.
robbie50

Post by robbie50 »

I open the varios file and see:
Dir Patch, I open it I see .po2 files
Dir Wave I see .w02 files
???

How i load this in my V synt?
(how can I save a picture here?)

Greetings,

rob
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

Hi Rob. In the VA.prj from the VariOS there should be a folder named "Patch" which should have the .p00 patches inside. Make a copy of a V-Synth GT project folder and inside there should be three folders named "Patch", "Tone" and "Wave". Clear the contents of the three folders and then place the ".p00" patch files from the VA.prj folder into the "Tone" folder. Then rename and then load the new project into the V-Synth GT.

Sorry Rob I haven't got a V-Synth GT so can't test but the above should work.
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

Hi all. Rather than using the V-Synth as the modelmaker I decided to build myself software to do it instead. (See screenshot)
Attachments
VA-Kreator
VA-Kreator
VA-Kreator.jpg (103.27 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

Hi all. Hope some of you will have had a look at the VA-Kreator screenshot attached to my last post. As you will see it is laid out like a V-Synth but it is for the VariOS-8. With VA-Kreator we can get to some of the parameters that are available to the V-Synth but not normally available to the VariOS-8. VA-Kreator's work is done via the Patch file and not sysex. VA-Kreator's output is a standard patch file and what I call a model file.

As you will see some of the parameters in VA-Kreator are highlighted in red. These are parameters that are available via sysex in a more conventional second editor called VA-Kontrol, which in principle is similar to the VariOS-8 controller. However it creates and saves patches to sysex as well as doing the usual store of patches. All the controllers that are not highlighted are parameters that are normally unavailable to the VariOS-8.

The basic idea is that the patch file created by VA-Kreator is placed in the VariOS-8 and the model file is loaded to VA-Kontrol so we can visualise the parameter settings of the model. Then we can manipulate the sysex parameters etc.

The main object of the project is to see the patch file as a model and then create sysex patches based on that model. So instead of seeing a VariOS-8 folder full of patch files, it is actually full of models.

Please feel free to ask any questions. It's a bit of fun for an old bit of Roland kit but the above does work and is somewhat reminiscent of a poor man's Jupiter-X.
robbie50

Post by robbie50 »

GREAT!

I hope it will work for the V synth. (GT) too......
You do a good job!!!

Greetings,

Rob
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

Hi. Out of interest has anyone else tried building a sysex editor for the VariOS-8?
John Detroit

Post by John Detroit »

All -

Check out The Midi Maniac / Roger on youtube and his website for another method to edit Varios-8 patches:

Roland VariOS-8: Explanation of the StandAlone control template for the BCR-2000 - Youtube:
https://youtu.be/xc4-wqu2pck

Software used to make the BCR-2000 template (SysEx messages):
BC-Manager from Mountain Utilities.
You can download it here.
* https://mountainutilities.eu/bcmanager

His website to downtown Behringer BCR-2000 template
https://themidimaniac.com/get-control-o ... -template/

The point I am making is the BC-Manager SW BCR-2000 template that Roger Made contains all the required SysEx messages to edit VarioOS -8 synth parameters via MIDI SysEx messages. These could be used as template for a dedicated PC/Mac Software (as mentioned earlier in this message thread).

Regards,
John Detroit
John Detroit

Post by John Detroit »

All -

Reading this thread I can confirm that copying V-Synth patches (downloaded from Roland website) and copying to the VariOS internal flash memory under the "VA.proj" (part of the VariOS-8 installation... download guide to know what I speak of) that any patches based upon Analog modeling are playable (when booting from VariOS-8 BIN from PC card). But, any patch that is dependent of a V-Synth Wave file (.W00 extension) does not make a sound/play on VariOS (again, when booting from VariOS-8 BIN from PC card).

Does anyone know how to covert the V-Synth Wave files (.W00 extension) for use in VariOS?

Regards,
John Detroit
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

Hi John, regarding your question about converting V-Synth .w00 files for use in the VariOS. I think a .w00 file is just a link to the internal samples that are contained in the Operating System of the V-Synth so they cannot be converted. If you look at the size of .w00 files they are all 1kb which indicates they do not contain sample info. However the samples may be recoverable from the V-Synth OS, but I think that would be very difficult.