as a standalone workstation - G or Gi ?

Forum for JUNO-Gi
delirium

as a standalone workstation - G or Gi ?

Post by delirium »

which one would you chose to have mobile standalone workstation out o these two?
I see some differences in numbers of tracks etc.
dbijoux

Re: as a standalone workstation - G or Gi ?

Post by dbijoux »

... not a workstation.

Delirium, you should know better. ;-)
delirium

Post by delirium »

>>Delirium, you should know better. ;-)

both can work as workstation :)
wladymeer

Post by wladymeer »

Juno Gi seems to be more versatile.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Versatile as what?

I don't like to point it out, since it's not a workstation(repeat after me), but there is no sampler/sequencer in the Gi. These seem to me pretty essential to be "standalone". Maybe you actually meant, standalone workstation with computer by its side?
delirium

Post by delirium »

dbijoux wrote: I don't like to point it out, since it's not a workstation(repeat after me), but there is no sampler/sequencer in the Gi.
"workstation" is whatever you turn into station to work for you...

from roland site Gi has full-featured eight-track digital recorder onboard with Guitar/Mic/Line inputs plus V-Track: 64. On the other hand G has MIDI tracks: 16 and Audio tracks: 4 stereo tracks so to me both can work as a recording workstation. Gi more conservative/analog way and G midi/audio way.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Well... noone can say you don't have an imagination. ;)

Keeping this in context, it's not a workstation(see "the Workstation is Dead" thread).

I think you get the picture tho. I'd only add that the Gi is focused more on live performance than the studio.
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

The Gi sounds great where the G did not. I have owned a G and now have Gi. Get a good PC with a full version of Sonar X1 and you will be ready to compose. Now the Gi's drum machine and pres are pretty poor for anything beyond a demo or sketch pad so get one of those new Roland pres as well, oh and use Sonar's drums in your mix. You will be on your way.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

At the risk of 'shock horror" personally if i did not have the G i would go for the Roland GW-8 if i now wanted a budget workstation.. you get the arranger and a 16 track sequencer.. a great combo.

and @ delirium, while you can define a workstation as what works for you, the Gi is advertised by Roland itself as a portable synthesizer with digital recorder..not a workstation :)
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

wladymeer wrote:Juno Gi seems to be more versatile.
Depends on what you have to do with it. For example, I really need the sampling features and sample pads of the Juno-G, otherwise I'd have to add a notebook to my setup just to trigger samples. I also need the 16 parts performance mode, otherwise I'd have to go on some gigs with three keyboards, while thanks to the powerful performance mode of the G I can get away with only 2 keyboards. I also need the Live Settings mode, otherwise I would not be able to select sounds as quickly as I need. If you play live, I'd definitely say that the G is more versatile.
Btw, of course acoustic sounds are better on the Gi, but as a synth the G can do really good. Let's say that if it doesn't sound good it is because you need to spend more time on sound design. And you don't need a pc to edit sounds because you have full editing on board. It's really a pity that Roland didn't develop the G, especially if you consider the new Yamaha MOX6 (which lacks many features that the G had) Roland is the only one that chose to drop workstations in the $1000 range, and I don't really agree with those who say that workstations are dead.
Just look at Korg: they have both the M50 (entry level workstation) and the PS60 (entry level synth).